Wednesday, January 21, 2015

San Jose Evening News 1956-57

(For information about what this is, please see previous posts.)



Dad eventually got a job at the large paper from which he would retire in 1976:  The San Jose Evening News which later became the San Jose Mercury News.   He brought along his "Off the Beat" column to the News.

Downtown San Jose, 1950s, From SPUR


On a personal note, I well remember the old, old Mercury building, and not only because Dad took me to visit there.  I remember vacations that began in the morning dark when Mom would bundle us into the car, giving me and my younger sister half-tabs of Dramamine to make sure we slept.  Nevertheless, I would wake up just twenty minutes later as Dad absent--mindedly allowed the car to take as to the front of his workplace in downtown San Jose.  I would look up and see the spinning planet above the front doors.  Later, this home was replaced by a larger building which itself has now been abandoned.   


July, August, 1956, (columns in scrapbook)

August, September, 1956 (columns in scrapbook)

October, 1956 and March, April, 1957

August, October,  November, 1956 (columns in scrapbook)

November, December, 1956 (columns in scrapbook)

December, 1956 - January, 1957 (columns in scrapbook)

January, February, 1957 (columns in scrapbook)


San Jose Mercury News HQ, 1966-2014






No comments: